Our approach to diversity, equity and inclusion is central to who we are. We’re working toward building a culture where everyone can belong. And we’re always aspiring to do better by creating inclusive environments that foster diverse perspectives and help all people thrive, in the communities where we live and work.
Our Approach to DEI
We collaborate with our employees, dealers, partners and customers around the globe to build inclusive strategies, programs, spaces and places for all. We aim to create a greater sense of belonging within our workplace and our communities.
Our aspirational goals guide our progress and help us identify future opportunities: building diverse teams to reflect our communities, ensuring equitable access to development opportunities, creating a culture of inclusion and working with suppliers and dealers that share our values.
Our internal DEI strategy takes a systems approach. Decisions about where to focus are informed by several factors, including our annual DEI Progress Report, internal and external research and insights and customized advice from our participation in the W.K. Kellogg Foundation’s Expanding Equity Program.
We are encouraged by the consistent progress we have made and see opportunities for continued progress ahead.
From Our CEO
“At Steelcase, we believe pursuing diversity, equity, and inclusion is critical to workplace creativity and innovation and builds a more resilient organization. That’s why we’re committed to creating welcoming, inclusive spaces that help all our employees thrive, and I look forward to continuing this journey.”
Sara Armbruster, Steelcase President and CEO
Our Aspirational DEI Goals
Business Inclusion Groups
We’re proud to invest in employee-led groups that foster inclusive communities for a wide range of identities and interests at Steelcase. We call our employee resource groups, Business Inclusion Groups (BIGs) for good reason. The people and teams who participate in these grassroots groups play a crucial role in fostering cultures of inclusion and belonging. Company support of BIGs increases clarity, improves employee experiences and enhances effective collaboration across teams. Learn more about our current BIGs:
- CHANGEMAKERS: Steelcase Changemakers is our network of employee-led social impact groups around the globe.
- DEI CHAMPIONS: We leverage a network of employees globally to advance our culture of inclusion for all.
- GAMING COMMUNITY: Celebrates play in all forms (console, pc and board games) and offers opportunities to bond through gaming and social events.
- GENDER EQUITY NETWORK (GEN): Welcomes women into their careers at Steelcase and supports their professional development.
- LA MESA: Systematically connects Hispanic & Non-Hispanic individuals at Steelcase who are dedicated to learning and improve career growth strategies for others and becoming the family/familia of choice among our community.
- PRIDE: Celebrates and supports LGBTQ+ diversity and creates awareness through storytelling, conversations and activities.
- STEELCASE SALUTES: Creates an inclusive ecosystem for veterans at Steelcase and the communities where they live and work.
- WOMEN OF STEEL: Empowers women in our Indian manufacturing site, contributes to create a safe, equitable work environment, opportunities for growth and to give back to the local communities.
- WORKING PARENTS: Provides learning opportunities around relevant topics and offers working parents a meaningful place to connect.
- YOUNG PROFESSIONALS: Provides a fun environment with events geared toward relationship building, personal growth and professional development.
Steelcase is recognized by its peers and third-party organizations around the world for its commitments to people, the planet and our communities. The company is recognized as an excellent place to work.