Corporate Sustainability Report
A Letter from our CEO
From the research we conduct to the solutions we create, everything we do at Steelcase centers on helping people at work. For more than a century, it’s been our promise to bring human insight to business by studying how people work and delivering innovative, optimized and responsible solutions. As we see it, sustainability is about creating and supporting economic, social and environmental conditions that help people, organizations and communities thrive.
As you will discover in this report, our initiatives are generating real results. For instance, we’ve expanded our renewable energy investments to represent 100% of our global electricity consumption. At the same time, we continue to reduce our direct reliance on fossil fuels for our operations and our products, decreasing our global energy use by 60% since 2001.
We know that the potential of sustainability extends well beyond energy use and our own operations. We continue to drive toward a broad spectrum of positive impact. Here are a few highlights:
- We’re partnering with our customers to help them meet their sustainability goals. This past year, we’ve helped divert 50 million pounds of unused furniture from the landfill in the U.S. alone and provided over 250 custom metrics reports so our customers can measure the impact of their decisions.
- Within our supply chain, we’re continuously driving more innovation and transparency. This enables us to offer more sustainable products to strengthen our leadership position and our business.
- We continue to invest in our many global communities with a record amount of donations and thousands of employee volunteer hours.
- Globally, as our workforce continues to become more diverse, we’re investing in our people with programs designed to strengthen collaboration and build cultural awareness.
- We’ve had an 8% increase in employee retention and a two to three-fold improvement in self-reported scores from our employee wellbeing pilot programs. These results are linked to our commitment to providing great work environments and implementing programs promoting the wellbeing of our people.
- The Steelcase Innovation Center at our global headquarters in Michigan received LEED Platinum® certification. To date, it is the highest rated LEED-Commercial Interiors project certified in the state of Michigan – and worldwide only 29 projects scored higher.
This report is evidence of our progress and reflects our ongoing commitment to put people at the center of all we do. Thank you for investing time in exploring the stories included in this year’s progress report.
James P. Keane
President and CEO